Effective writing engages the reader because they feel involved. In this way all writing must persuade the reader of something and one of the most vivid ways to engage a reader is through the use of the senses.
The descriptive writing task usually involves a place or an event or some contrast between one situation and another. So the pressure is on you as a writer to EVOKE your subject vividly in a short space of time. So how can you do this? Poets are especially good at this!
1) Be aware of your feet on the floor. May sound daft but just do it. It works.
2) Next shut your eyes and imagine the situation you have to describe. Press your feet into the floor so you are there.THERE! Ignore the rest. You want a high grade!
3) Ask yourself slowly what are you seeing, what are you hearing, what are you smelling, feeling, tasting? One sense may be much stronger than the rest. One sense may be ignored, perhaps nothing is happening there. That’s fine!
4) Now write down single words or phrases even a DOODLE . They will be your prompts to guide your through the essay.
5) Remember MOST essays privilege ONE sense and that is usually SIGHT. Maybe you want to be DIFFERENT? So why not use ANOTHER sense and make your essay stand out from the thousands?
My favourite sense is the sense of smell and in another blog I will talk about the use of scent in effective essay writing and creativity.
OLFACTORY MAGIC FROM ARABIA!
Bookshelf 2.0 developed by revood.com