Dr Janet Lewison is the Lead Tutor of Tusitala. She has over 20 years teaching/tutoring experience at all levels. She holds a First Class Hons. in English and Russian Studies(with Prize), an M.A. Victorian Literature and PhD. She also holds a PGCE, QTS and holds a current DBS Enhanced Disclosure Form.
She is an INLPTA Master Practitioner and trained with the NLP Master Trainer Peter McNab. She has lectured in Europe and the USA. Her passion for English has always been the driving force of her teaching and she established Tusitala as she firmly believes that everyone can benefit significantly from intensive one-to-one personal tuition.
Students flourish when they know that their individual learning is respected and acknowledged.
Private English Tuition increases self-confidence and potential for success. Her NLP skills are an integral part of her life and practice and have greatly benefited students in terms of self-esteem and motivation.
Can we help you?
We can offer friendly, expert English Tuition in the following:
- Entrance Examinations in English
- Key Stage 3; GCSE; AS and A2 Levels
- Degree level Tutoring
- Dissertation/Project/Essay Advice and Tutorials
- General Essay Writing advice (including Distance Learning)
- Presentations and workshops
- Tailor made Individual/Group Courses for Life-Long Learners
- Tusi Notes for essays: Just the ideas you need to be different!
From September 2016 I charge £30 session all levels.
Read my Tutorial on Turn of the Screw (756Kb) for a great example of how Tusitala can add energy and excitement to your essays.
My son had two two hour sessions with Janet before his Cambridge Pre-U exam (similar to A Level) for his English Literature Prose paper. These were, for practical purposes, done on the telephone, but they actually worked very well. Janet sent him some passages to look at beforehand as preparation and as a way into the discussion. Her knowledge of the subject was very impressive and she was able to extend and guide the discussion in many directions. She was able to help him identify major themes, symbols and use of language
- I work in the legal services and needed some help with my management report writing. Janet was able to give me guidance on how to structure reports, as well as how to get my ideas across effectively. I also found Janet great fun to work with!
- English Tuition boosted my erudition! I have decided to study English now at A Level.
Janet is an inspiration in all areas of her professional life. Her expertise and enthusiasm together foster profound and beneficial changes in others on both an intellectual and emotional level.
- Janet gave me excellent tuition during my GCSE English and A Level English. I gained the result I needed each time. I found Janet very helpful and friendly.
- Dr Janet Lewison is truly one of the most inspirational teachers I have ever met during my English language career. Exceptionally knowledgeable, very intelligent, creative, kind, doing teaching to the manner born. I was fortunate enough to get to know her during my studies at Bolton in 2005 when she took over the Short-story module. To this day, her way of presentation, teaching and knowledge of the subject matter have not been surpassed. She continues to be my inspiration even after years: Janet can be credited with my latest pre-occupation with Amy Bloom in terms of translation. She is passi
- I feel that Janet's teaching has benefited me a lot. The advice she has given me with my work has been phenomenal. I now feel more confident about my English studies. As a person Janet is kind, approachable and intelligent-very easy to speak to!
- Janet Lewison is an intelligent, smart, funny, friendly English teacher extraordinaire! . Congratulations on your new site and for the future!
- Since I was a child English teachers have always been my favourite teacher, and Dr Janet Lewison was the best of all. Exceptionally knowledgeable, inspirational and outstandingly creative, she made genuine learning a great pleasure.
I ended up with a First Class Hons. and Janet substantially helped me realise this.
Her subject knowledge and wonderful ability to convey this in a friendly but inspiring way made her teaching both hugely enjoyable and deeply effective!
- I have known Dr Janet Lewison for over 10 years both as a 'Mentor' and a colleague. I first met Janet whilst doing a PGCE in Adult Learning at the University of Bolton and because I was fortunate enough to be taken on by the University's English Department for my Teaching Practice. Janet at the time was a Tutor Mentor for another student (also doing Teaching Practice). My Mentor became ill and Janet stepped into the breach even with a heavy teaching and mentoring workload. She was and still is a truly inspirational and supportive Mentor (I still regard her as such) and nothing was too mu
- Fantastic! After having to leave school half way through a-level due to illness, Tusitala tutored me for all my a-level and within a year I had taken my AS grade, which had been a C at my former ‘prestigious’ boarding school, to an A*. I achieved an A* overall in my English literature a-level, gaining over 90% in all papers. And this was only with two hours or so a week!
Tusitala is passionate about the subjects she teaches, and didn’t just ‘tick-boxes’ to get students through the A-level, like I had experienced with a lot of English teachers in the past. There was a focus on als
- I would just like to comment on Janet’s tuition with regard to my daughter. Janet was enthusiastic, encouraging and good fun which has always encouraged my daughter to enjoy her tuition with Janet. My daughter began to attend tuition with Janet at the beginning of school year 9, she was finding school English lessons difficult and there was a lack of continuity in teaching and a deterioration in my daughters progress, which was why I sought tuition for her. My daughter made significant progress with Janet’s tuition and recently achieved a ‘B’ in her English GCSE. I attribute her succ
- Shortly after starting my GCSE studies I realised that extra tuition in English would be hugely beneficial to me. My older brother had been in a similar position to me a few years before and he suggested that I speak to Janet, as she had helped him. I took his advice and a week later I had my first one to one lesson. I found Janet to be extremely welcoming and she made me feel comfortable and at ease which of course created a good learning environment.
Throughout the weeks I spent with Janet I could feel my literacy skills improving and I grew a lot more confident in the subject. I went on